Match Report: Cornish Pirates 27 v 18 1st XV

Match report

Ampthill travelled to The Mennaye Field in Round 3 of the Cup with confidence high following a 29 v 5 win against Richmond.

Preparations for the game were disrupted by the withdrawal of Captain Charlie Beckett two hours before kick-off – the medical team decision resulting in a rotation of personnel in the pack with Cai Devine moving to lock, substitute Caleb Montgomery starting on the open side and new signing Kofi Cripps, a travelling replacement, being promoted to the bench!

The game kicked off in near perfect conditions and both sides traded scoring opportunities with respective defences equal to any attacking intent.

More than a quarter of the game passed without troubling the scoreboard however being awarded a penalty on the Pirates 22 after 22 minutes, stand-in captain Wilson pointed to the posts and full back Conor Rankin obliged from the tee. 0 v 3

Pirates response was almost immediate for their first of four tries, a line break finished by Relton and a successful conversion – 7 v 3

When Pirates were again penalised for not rolling away just outside their 22 five minutes before half time, Rankin reduced the arrears to a solitary point – 7 v 6

Our hosts extended their lead on the stroke of half time – a training ground line out and maul finished by the hooker Norey, a simple conversion for the impressive Bazalgette 14 v 6.

Pirates scored their third 8 minutes into the second half – their full back chipping the defence and chasing down his own kick to score. 19 v 6

The game was still tight and Ampthill got within a score on 58 minutes – wing Alex Harmes chased his own kick close to the Pirates line, replacement scrum half Pete White recycled and Montgomery was in hand to drive over under the posts. A third successful kick for Rankin 19 v 13

Moments later Ampthill could’ve scored their third! A brilliant offload from Sproston on halfway creating the platform for the Mob backs to attack and Montgomery denied, tackled just short of the line!

A Pirates penalty on 72 minutes extended their lead to more than one score , 22 v 13 and then as Ampthill threw everything at Pirates they grabbed the bonus point through an intercept try from halfway! 27 v 13

The Mob weren’t finished and gave themselves a chance of a bonus point on 79 minutes – Rankin finding an overlap wide right to score, however the conversion attempt was pulled wide. Final score 27 v 18

Following the game, Paul Turner said “I can’t fault our effort but we need to get more consistency into most of our game. There wasn’t a lot between both sides other than Pirates made less errors than us. Both our error count and ball control was not good enough to trouble them.

After leaking 3 tries this gave us too much to do. We Got back to 19-11 and then another error allowed them to finish the game. We have a lot of work to do both sides of the ball to prepare for our Xmas run in.”


Share this:

Team News


Rugby Questions

We’re happy to help!

Telephone: 01525 403303

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST to get our latest news

News Archive